Why Might You Need Professional Help to Carry out Fire Damage Repairs?
It’s never an easy time when your home has been subjected to fire or water damage. The aftermath of such events can often have an everlasting impact on the quality of your treasured possessions and the structure of your home. Because of this, it may be some time before you feel like starting on the water and fire damage repair, but the longer you leave it; the harder the fire clean up will be. While fire damage has its own serious cleanup problems with smoke and soot, there will also be damage due to the extinguishing element; water. This can then cause even further problems if left over a long period with mold buildup which can be extremely hazardous to your health and wellbeing.
Professional Tips on How to Tackle Water and Fire Damage Repairs
Before you rush into action and start ripping away dry walls, removing furniture or even just switching the power on, it is vital that you first complete a thorough check to make sure it is safe to do so. Flood water can mask dangers not apparent at first glance and overexposure to soot and smoke damaged areas can cause problems to your respiratory system. Once you have established it is safe to proceed, you can then start making a plan for how best to start the cleanup. Here are some tips for fire and water restoration to keep in mind:
- Make sure you have the correct personal protective equipment before you start. Specifically, gloves and boots but consider eye protection and a mouth/nose guard.
- The first issue you will most likely face will be that of water damage. Before you can start any cleanup operation you will first have to ensure that all water is removed and everything dried out. Open windows to let the air circulate and be careful not to place wooden items in direct sunlight; this will only warp the wood.
- To remove soot and smoke from any surface, first use a vacuum cleaner to remove the loose particles. If you have access to tri-sodium phosphate, mix this with household cleaner or chlorine bleach but ensure you rinse surfaces with warm water afterwards and dry thoroughly. When cleaning walls and ceilings, wash small areas at a time and start from the floor level first to prevent any streaking.
- In order to stop mold from forming in areas that got wet, use a soapy solution to wash it down and rinse thoroughly. Before you start any other procedure (paint, wallpapering), make sure it has dried out completely.
- Kitchenware items such as pots, pans, plates and cups etc. can be washed using hot soapy water and then rinsed.
- Clothes should be washed thoroughly following the laundry instructions in the label.
- If there is any debris lying about, wet it down to minimize the amount of dust particles.
- Probably the best tip of all is to consult with the top fire and water damage restoration companies.
Why Not Hire Our Professional Fire and Water Restoration Service?
It’s never easy trying to sort through all the mess after being a victim of a fire or flooding and it really can be quite soul destroying trying to pick up the pieces and get things back to normal. Trying to do this on your own however can at times seem futile with very little progress being made. By opting to use professional water and fire damage restoration companies like ours, you give yourself the best chance of quickly getting things back to normal. Our fire and water restoration service has access to high powered machinery and specialist chemicals that can quickly clean things up and even salvage items that may otherwise be lost. Our master craftsmen are also fully qualified to deal with all types of work and will ensure that from the initial assessment for insurance purposes through to final repairs, you are fully taken care of.