During the summer months, weekend trips and vacations are more common than ever before. While you are away, storms may occur causing unexpected damage to the structure of your property. Express Emergency Services are available to help you address any damages caused by flooding and more.
Here are a few tips tricks and general preventative measures for avoiding water damage while you’re away from home.
- You can turn off the water at the main water valve before you depart for vacation to turn off the water to your entire house. If someone is watching your pets or if you have an automatic sprinkler system and you are unable to turn off the water to the entire house, turn off the water at the valves of your sinks and toilets. It may take a little longer to turn off, but you will ultimately save thousands of dollars.
- Furthermore, make sure you check your gutters to ensure any rain water is flowing away from your home and to ensure no debris has accumulated. This will help prevent the following from happening.
- Keep an eye out for moisture and rust around the water tank.
- Make sure to flush your water heater every six months.
- Water released from those installed in crawl spaces can go undetected until water bills or power bills cause alarm.
- Be sure to replace broken or loose tiles/grout lines.
- Ensure that supply lines to sinks and toilets are free of kinks and loose connections every six months.
- Make sure to monitor your water bill because a significant increase could indicate a leak.
- Every year, inspect your roof for damage and replace any missing or damaged shingles.
- Make sure your gutters and downspouts are clear, and that water is draining away from the house.
These tips should get you on your way to a stress-free vacation. If an emergency arises, however, our team is available 24/7 to assist you at 561-286-3768.